Credit: Hannah Burton
Ashley Monroe is gearing up to release her fourth album, Sparrow, on April 20 and if her new single “Hands On You” is any indication, listeners are in for a memorable journey. The sultry ballad has Monroe singing of how she wishes she was with a man instead of being alone in bed while thinking about him.
In an interview with NPR Music, the singer says the song’s inspiration came from a weekend beach trip. While she was forced to stay at the hotel due to a stomach bug, her friends were out enjoying themselves and returned with stories of the handsome men they had met. (Read more of her interview about “Hands On You” and her upcoming album here).
Monroe’s newly released acoustic performance highlights the song’s lyrics while her wavering vocals are at the forefront. Accompanied by delicate guitar and violin, the acoustic version of “Hands On You” is striking. Listen below.
Monroe worked with producer Dave Cobb on the album and co-wrote each of the 12 tracks featured on Sparrow.
“I knew I wanted to work with Dave,” Monroe says in a press release. “All of his records are consistently awesome and classic, timeless, old and new all in one. Country music is a wide genre, and that’s OK. I don’t even know what genre this record is, but I know it’s me.”
Sparrow Track List:
1. “Orphan” (Ashley Monroe, Gordie Sampson, Paul Moak)
2. “Hard On A Heart” (Ashley Monroe, Blu Sanders, Paul Moak)
3. “Hands On You” (Ashley Monroe, Jon Randall)
4. “Mother’s Daughter” (Ashley Monroe, Brendan Benson, Ryan Beaver)
5. “Rita” (Ashley Monroe, Nicole Galyon, Paul Moak)
6. “Wild Love” (Ashley Monroe, Waylon Payne, Brendan Benson)
7. “This Heaven” (Anderson East, Ashley Monroe, Aaron Raitiere)
8. “I’m Trying To” (Ashley Monroe, Kassi Ashton, Jon Randall)
9. “She Wakes Me Up (Rescue Me)” (Ashley Monroe, Waylon Payne, Paul Moak)
10. “Paying Attention” (Ashley Monroe, Waylon Payne, Brendan Benson)
11. “Daddy I Told You” (Ashley Monroe, Angaleena Presley, Josh O’Keefe)
12. “Keys To The Kingdom” (Ashley Monroe, Waylon Payne)